Two teens die from Benadryl overdose in treatment facility, sheriff’s office says
ASHLAND CITY, Tenn. (WSMV/Gray News) – Two teens fatally overdosed while in the care of a residential treatment facility, according to the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office.
Deputies responded to a call for CPR earlier in the week at Oak Plains Academy, a treatment center in Tennessee.
The 15-year-old girls were found unconscious and unresponsive when authorities arrived at the facility.
The sheriff’s office said the teens stole several packs and a bottle of Benadryl from the nurse’s station at the center the night before.
Both got sick and fell unconscious the following morning after taking an undetermined amount of the medication.
One of the girls was pronounced dead at the hospital on Nov. 29, while the other was transferred to a children’s hospital in critical condition and later died on Nov. 30.
Oak Plains Academy released the following statement in response to the deaths:
The leadership and staff of Oak Plains Academy extend our deepest condolences to the families and friends of the two individuals who passed away. We immediately initiated an internal investigation and are cooperating fully with all agencies involved in investigating this matter. Support has been made available onsite for other patients who became aware of the incident. Due to state and federal patient privacy laws, as well as an ongoing investigation, we cannot provide further details.
We are committed to our mission of providing quality care to patients with special, and often complex, mental health needs.
Copyright 2022 WSMV via Gray Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved.